Thursday, May 7, 2009

If you think it...

I am true believer in whatever you think, transforms into what actually happens. I know there is some book out there that describes many people's experiences with this property. I once heard someone said they always get amazing parking places at the mall because they visualize it or think this will happen. Then when they get to the mall the spot is always open.

For me, and something I try to explain to my players, my whole life has been about believing I can do something, or am better at something than I really am. They tell me all the time "I can't make a shot!" I tell them to picture themselves feeling and thinking they have just made 10 in a row and then shoot...and guess what they almost always make it! My favorite thing to tell my players is that I truly believe that if I were to play the lotto I would win. And if I didn't win, I would be more surprised than if I won. I expect to win. I expect good things. I don't dwell or think about bad things and if they cross my mind, they do exactly that, they cross.

I have even noticed that when I think it will take me a certain amount of time to run or bike somewhere, generally that is exactly how long it takes. Sometimes I try to play tricks on my brain and underestimate (and then believe) that it will take less time to get someplace, just to see if it will. And you know what...it actually ends up taking less time. It is really a remarkable thing.

Which brings me to today.

Today I needed to get my bike ready to send to my race next week. I decided since I would be without Shamu for nearly a week (seems sooo long!) that I wanted to get one short ride in before I sent him off. Prior to leaving the thought ENTERED my mind (didn't cross as quickly as it should have) that I hoped I didn't get a flat tire or fall off my bike. I wanted to send Shamu off in a happy mood. So I went out for a nice 1hr ride in some wind, but near 80 degree temperatures. The ride was going well and I was having a nice ride and I turned the corner, about 6 blocks from my house, when I felt some shaking. I thought this is weird, maybe the road is bumpy. Quickly I realized it was actually a flat tire.

I have biked with Shamu and my tires for nearly 5,000 miles and over 285 hours, or something crazy like that and I have never had this happen. I actually opted to not change my tires, since I need new ones, before the race because they have been so
"supportive" that I didn't want to have new ones for a race.

Anyway, Pedro was at home so I called him (even though I was about 6 blocks from home) and had him come and pick me up. The wheel set has deep rims and we use to swap out the tire to ride on the trainer but had such a hard time we had to stop doing that, because it was so difficult to get the tire on and off. However today we got home and actually quickly changed the tube with one of the two spares that I carry during a race. Then I went to pump up the tire and it wouldn't work. I was getting very frustrated. Finally, we decided we must have done something wrong since Pedro changed it so quickly. We took it off and tried to pump just the spare. It had a hole in it. So, we took my only other spare and put it back together and it worked.

Now, I guess in my mind it was a sign. A sign that in case I need a spare that one was bad and it was better to happen today then when I am at a race. I would have used up my CO2 cartridges during the race and would have been totally confused. But I allowed that thought to be in my mind and I should have gotten it out quicker.

I then packed up Shamu and drove him to Boulder to be dropped off for transport. I first stopped to grab some tubes, gels and gummies for the race to pack on my bike instead of having to carry them with me on the plane.

After telling Shamu to have a safe trip and that I would see him soon!!! I headed out to run hills/stairs in the heat, since I am still hoping to somewhat adapt prior to the race. I ran sets of 6min, 8min, 10min, 4x1min sets. It was a good workout and I am thinking it will help prepare me for the heat...and since if you think it, it will happen, I'm sticking to it!

No comments: