Sunday, May 10, 2009

More adventure...

Friday I decided to take part in a bike race. No really, a bike race without my friend Shamu. The funny thing is that this race had more adventure involved in it than any race I have ever been in...what makes it funny is the race was a total distance of 3 miles.

The fun began when Pedro decided we should take his motorcycle up to Ft. Morgan. It had been near 80 degrees on Thursday and of course Friday brought 60 degree temperatures and wind. We left in the afternoon to head up to the police department for the "big" race. It was a race for the police officers in the department. A few had gone out for the ride on Thursday and the rest of them were racing Friday afternoon.

We get to the course, which consisted of a nearly flat country road, that Shamu would have loved. I was so cold from the motorcycle ride that I spent most of my time sitting in the police car while everyone was getting ready to race.

The race was 1.5 miles out and back. It was cold and the winds had to have been at least 25-30mph. The say "go" and I headed out on a borrowed police mtn bike. I think the bike weighed as much as I do. Anyway, we took off with the wind at our backs. I somehow got ahead of Pedro and the next thing I know he zoomed right by me. As he passed a pit bull came running out of a house and started chasing him! I freaked and slowed to a near crawl as Pedro was yelling just keep riding. The dog already had a head start on me and I knew on this bike I was not out running him. I didn't know what to do. I decided after I stopped that I should just go and hope he doesn't get me! I didn't look so I'm not sure what happened but he wasn't still there, but Pedro was very far ahead now.

We got to the turnaround and I told the officer at the end that there was a vicious dog that chased us. He thought I was joking. I stopped and told him about the dog. Then took off after Pedro into the wind. My pace dropped to about 5mph. The officer passed me and parked his car by the vicious dog, which made me feel much better. Then my string on my pants that I was wearing, since it was so cold out, got caught on the chain. I had to stop and untangle myself. Then I realized that my seat had been sliding down (I hadn't tightened it enough) and I was soon riding with the seat all the way down and I'm sure I looked hilarious!

Finally, I caught Pedro and passed him and told him to get behind my wheel. But my size was not big enough to block the wind. I finished a few minutes ahead of Pedro and won the big 3 mile race! With an amazing time of 13 minutes!!! No, seriously 13 minutes and I still won! Including the people who rode the day before when there was very little wind.

Pedro benefited from the wind when we had it at our backs and because I didn't catch the wind as much I made it back faster. It was quite a funny ride, more because of the events that took place. It wasn't about winning..but at least I can now tell Pedro to stop telling me to "suck it up" when it is windy out and I don't want to ride! He was quite tired after the race..lol

No comments: