Sunday, August 9, 2009

Boulder Race Report.

Today I had the Boulder half iron race. I decided to use it more as a training day then as a full race, since I am not in top shape and because of my knee.

The day went like this..

The swim went ok. On the way out the sun that was hiding behind the clouds appeared as my wave started. I could not see any of the buoys on the way out, I just followed the people swimming. I got bumped and my goggles strap moved up on my cap(though I didn't know this) and so my left goggle kept filling with water, even after I would stop and let out the water and then push the goggle back on. Once I hit the turn I could easily spot the buoys but still had the goggle issue. I had to stop a few times (3 or 4) and fix my goggles, really quite annoying. On a good note it is my fastest (I think) time for a 1.2 mile swim at 36 min, which included running to transition.

The bike. Well, true to my training the bike did not go so well. I really think there is something wrong with my bike. Even when I down shift it still feels like I am having to work harder than I should be..it doesn't seem smooth. I am going to have this checked out. The course was not bad, it was a gradual hill for about the first 10 miles of each loop. This was followed by some good down hills. However, the flats with wind in my face seemed worse than the hills. Again, it was weird I just felt like I had to push/pull more than I should in certain gears. I had to stop to go to the bathroom on the bike. I had drank so much water I couldn't wait. Then I stopped in transition as well, I had a headache on the bike so I was trying to drink more, apparently I had too much!

The run. The run was probably the best part of the course. It was a nice run on all dirt. There were three big hills, but at least three down hills. There was a nice breeze on part of the run to help keep you cool. The first lap went well with some knee pain but nothing significant. So, I decided that I would run the second loop. Well, bad news, at about mile 9 my knee started hurting. Crap. Four miles to go...but it didn't seem like it was that long to go. I wasn't physically tired at all, which was quite shocking since I have had so little run time. However, I felt like I had to drag my leg behind me...ugh.

So, the bad news is that my knee hurts. I will probably go see a doctor if I can get into see one soon. My leg muscles and everything else seem pretty good right now. I didn't try and push myself and race too much, but I still ran about the same pace as Florida...where I was in much better shape. However, there was heat and humidity there and I wasn't prepared for that type of weather.

I finished in 5:42. Not horrible, but not great either. I was 24th in my age and the 110 female. I think once I figure out what is going on with my bike I will be on a better path. The knee, let's hope my itband problem can be fixed quickly...ugh.

No comments: