Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Update III

I did VO2 max testing on the bike this week. My fitness level is not peak, but none the less.

The results were quite amazing.

The heart rate I begin to go anaerobic is at 170 (it will be higher while running). This means prior to this I am burning anywhere between 9.6-11.7 cal/min while burning 54-32% fat!. Once I hit the anaerobic state I burn 14.0 cal/min but only 7% from fat. It is quite a linear line through my zones (which is what you want) until I hit the anaerobic stage.

My VO2 max was stopped at 52 (but more accurately estimated around 56), at my anaerobic threshold it is 47, which means you want these two numbers to be almost the same, meaning I am not at my max shape yet (I'm sure running will help this some). VO2 max is mainly genetic, and luckily I am off the charts for male or female in this area, which means I have great excercise potential! Good to know...lol. Anyway, for example, Lance is said to be at 85, but males are generally 20% higher, so this would be around 65, still higher than my current potential but very close :)

The best part was my heart rate recovery. They want your hr to recover 20 beats after the first minute. Mine recovered 36. After two min 30 is great, mine was 49! One benefit could be my ability to control my heart rate to some extent and I was trying to relax and bring it down at the end of my test! But this means that my heart is strong and recovers fast from excercise, which is good when you go up a big hill and then can recover on the downhill. I am recovered going down while others are still trying to recover after the fact. Pedro and I see this when we run stairs. I recover going down so I don't mind going up, Pedro is still tired when he has to go back up.

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me to continue my itb recovery!

No comments: