Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Continuing....

Funny thing. When you "create" your own training program and you are in your taper, you do really start to question your training. To make myself feel a bit better I found this about tapering:

What to Expect During a Taper

In week one of the taper you will start to feel good. The energy system that raises your energy up for peak workouts will still be working but you will be building up some reserves because of the reduced volume of training. The result is that you will start to feel supercharged.

Then during the second week, all systems start to shut down that are normally active during high training. This is what happens when you start to go into hyper-recovery mode. You will begin to feel absolutely terrible. Your legs will feel heavy, you won1t feel motivated, and you will feel like you are losing all of your fitness. This is the worst you will feel. But have faith!

In week three of the taper (this is where I am now), your energy will start to come back up and you will start to feel the spark come back. Remember that this is still not the time to test yourself. That will come in the race just over a week away.

In week four, all of the rest pays off. If you thought week three felt good, this will blow your socks off. You will hardly be able to contain yourself. This is exactly what you want. You are now ready for your best race.


What I would say is that week 2 was definitely difficult. I ran the treadmill relay and my legs were on FIRE. They were so tired! We ran either .5 miles or .25 miles at a 2% incline for 10miles. It really was only about 2.5 miles per person, but each part you ran as fast as you could. Having teammates definitely motivates you to pick up the speed! I jogged on the treadmill next to the "race" one between my intervals. I am not sure how other people went from sprinting to standing and got back on, but I also ended up with a good overall workout for the day.

Week 3, is what I am currently doing. I feel ok. Not great. I want to do more and definitely still feel like I am out of shape. I almost have to look back at all the time and miles I have logged. I guess it is just different after training for an Ironman to go to a half. I over distance trained for the half, but not up to the full distance.

Looking forward to week 4 and the "super charged" feeling I hope to have. I have to turn in my bike on Thurs to be shipped so I will be without Shamu for a few days, but we will meet up just prior to the race. Also, hoping for a bit of a cool down in Orlando before the race, since lately it has been in the 90's and I am hot when it is 70 here!

No comments: