Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tapering...

Not too much going on lately. I have begun my taper for my race on the 17th. This week my long run was "only" 2hrs and my long bike was 3hr 25min. I have been feeling decent on most of my workouts so I am hoping to be speedy for the race. My plan is to try and race like it is a short race...not the half that it really is. During my long training weeks I over distance trained so in theory it is a "short" race.

The main concern I have for the race is going to be the hot and humid weather. On days that have been warmer here my heart rate definitely increases exponentially. So, the shock of having real hot weather, plus the humidity may be a problem.

I ordered a swimskin for the swim if it is a non-wetsuit swim. But maybe I will luck out and it will be a wetsuit swim. Us slow swimmers love the wetsuit swims!

Next week begins my real taper of workouts scheduled with actual days off. I also drop of my bike for shipping on the 8th so I will be without my bike for awhile.

After my race, I have about 11 weeks before my next half iron in Boulder. Then another 13 weeks before my full ironman. When you look at it that way it doesn't seem like that long of a time. I will need to create a training plan to work with this odd number of weeks. I'm also planning on doing a few sprint races in Aug, as well. Maybe one in June.

That's about it for now. I have been working a lot on the travel for my team this summer and planning tournaments, flights, kids on the teams and that fun logistical stuff. This weekend at the gym they are having a 10-mile treadmill relay with teams of 4. I think that might be kind of fun, at least it gives some variety for run club.

No comments: