Monday, April 6, 2009

Nutrition...

Nutrition plays a huge role in training. There are some days that I totally forget this piece of information and eat things that should never make there way into any diet, let alone someone training.

Saturday we had the baby shower (thank goodness we had it before the baby!) and I had ice cream cake, oreo "bark", wings, boneless wings, cookies and soda. Then I went to the nuggets game, I was stuffed but decided to have nachos. I am actually, disguisted even writing this!

Anyway, fast-forward to today. I had a 3hr bike ride and a speed/track workout. I decided to try and go outside today for my ride, even though it was about 45 degrees. I bundled up and left for my ride. It was cold, but the worse part were my legs. They were exhausted. Tired at the beginning of a bike ride is never a good sign, it's not like when you go running and the first mile is usually the hardest. Anyway, I kept thinking it would get better. It didn't. Then it dawned on me, I am on some of my longest weeks of training and I ate the worse possible foods. I am not sure what else I was expecting.

I finished the ride at 2hr 35 min because between the fatigue and the numb feet I decided it was best to go home, the ride was 50 miles.

After the ride I had a bit of time to recover so I went to go see Grey. Today I could actually hold him, but he slept pretty much the whole time.

Then I headed to run club. Today we did a track workout. It consisted of a warm up followed by 2x800, 4x400, 4x200 with the recovery being a jog/walk of half the time it took to do the interval. So, today was our first track workout together. I have never heard so many excuses and seen so many people just quit or take 2 times as long on recovery.

If you have ever run on the track or run sprints you know, it's not fun. Your chest burns, your legs burn and at some point you actually can't feel your legs. Today a few people stopped running after 2 of the 400's because they said, there legs were tired. No really?? Your legs are tired doing sprints??? I wanted to point out I had just recently finished my 50 mile ride, which was already on tired legs, but I figured it wasn't me being a quitter. Most did finish the 800's and 400's. We got to the 200's which are definitely not as bad. When I finished my 200's everyone was still on their first or second 200 so I decided to do two extra 200's, for a total of 6x200. Than one lady still had another 200 to do and I wait for the last person before I cool down...so I did 4x100's while waiting. For a total of 3 miles of sprints (which was actually what I had wanted to do). This last lady wasn't slow, she just took forever on her recoveries.

Today, including recoveries was 47 minutes and 4.80 miles of running (3 miles of sprints and the rest as recovery/warmup/cooldown).

Anyway, I usually feel pretty good when I do sprint workouts or hill workouts because I know people do not like doing them...but I couldn't believe people actually stopped running and said their legs were tired!!

Now I am going to do some epsom salts to help my legs a bit before I do a longer workout tomorrow (not sure which one yet).

No comments: