Monday, April 13, 2009

First encounter...

I had my first scary encounter today.

My afternoon workout was a 2hr bike ride. I decided to ride one of my usual routes, I made it out, on an out and back, and was returning on my ride. Now remember while biking I wear headphones so noise is limited, I don't wear them too loud, but enough to block out the wind. Anyway, I was riding back and I heard a loud GROWL..it must have been really loud to have heard it as loud as it was through the headphones. I looked back to see a large dog nipping at my back wheel!

I wasn't sure what to do. Out of instinct I tried to ride as fast as I could, the dog was not losing much ground. There was a slight hill which helped him and hindered me..I was getting worried. I didn't know how long he would keep following me. It crossed my mind to stop, since they always say if you are being chased by an animal you shouldn't run...but this animal was not friendly. It wanted to bite me. After about 3 minutes, which seemed like 20 the dog stopped. I looked at my hr monitor which said my heart rate was 180!

After the dog turned around and I settled down a bit, I started getting worried because right before the dog chased me I had passed an older guy riding the other direction. I hope he didn't turn around and ride pass the mean dog. I am glad the dog stopped chasing me, the more I thought about it Stella probably wouldn't have stopped and she probably would have caught me!

After my ride of 37 miles I came home and ran some errands and then went to run club. Today we ran from Inta Juice and since I had a moderate run of 1hr30min to do, I decided to run to run club (5.1 miles/45min). We headed out to follow a 5k race trail and add a loop around the nearby lake, which was an additional 1.5 miles around. The run with run club ended up a bit longer than expected at 6.5 miles and so my total for the day at about 11.6 miles and 1hr 45min. The best part was the smoothie after the run!

Tomorrow I am heading up to Ft. Morgan with Pedro. I am planning on getting my long bike ride in while he does his qualifications. I figured it would be nice to have a change of scenery..now let's hope the weather agrees!

No comments: