Sunday, April 19, 2009

Speedster...

OK, I wish I was a speedster. Today was another day to realize that either I am slow, or the treadmill is confused. I'm going with the latter. This week, I have missed a few swims but I also needed one more run workout, which was a speed workout. Thanks to Colorado weather, which consisted of solid rain for two days (no snow at my house), I had to take my running back into the gym.

My run was to consist of 4x800, 4x400, 6x200. I thought this would be pretty easy to do inside. Just run .5 miles for the 800's, .25 for the 400's and .12/.13 for the 200's. I warmed up with an easy mile, which isn't so easy at this point since I have my mysterious injury and it is hard to straighten my leg out completely...anyway.

Let me regress. To qualify for the boulder bolder you can run inside on the treadmill. One year I ran a qualifying race and qualified for one of the top waves. When I saw the treadmill speed I would have had to have run to qualify for that same wave I thought that to be impossible. However, I keep reading these treadmill calculators and think that the "pace" on the treadmill can't be too far off..??

I started today's run with an 800. Which quickly turned into a 400. I thought I might fly off the back of the treadmill. My body needed to be shocked back into a faster pace, which is something you usually do when you run on a track, you run a few "pickups". My second set I started the 800's. These were difficult. I was running at about 8.1 speed and it took me nearly 3:45 sec to run an 800. This is ridiculous! On a track I run 800's in 3:00-3:10, never do I run nearly 4 minutes for an 800!! I recovered and decided that I would try again, maybe I started my watch too early or something. The next 800 I ran in 3:44 and I ran between 8.1/8.2.
I wasn't sure what to do. I thought maybe I should just run for time, instead of distance. I figured that was the wimpy way out, ugh. So, I finished my 800's, 400's and the 200's all between an 8.1-8.4 pace. I definitely got more "time" on my sprints. But I am still convinced the treadmill is either incorrect on mileage or pace.

On a separate note, today one of my players got her eye split open and had to go to the hospital for 10 stitches. Now of course I would play tomorrow with this..it was similar to when I was in high school I went head to head with another player and instead of my eye splitting open it was so gigantic it was swollen shut for nearly two weeks, it was an awesome black eye! I continued playing later that day and I couldn't even open my eye or see anyone on my right side. The best line of the day though came from another parent. They were wondering if she was going to play tomorrow and I said, well knowing how they are, probably not. He said "why not?? her eye is really quite far from her heart!" It took me a minute to understand, but I thought it was great, now mind you this guys daughter played all last year with a stress fracture in her back (they didn't know) and ended up having surgery at the end of the season. But still it was a great line.

No comments: