Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life in the slow lane...

Right now basketball season is starting to pick up. We have had tournaments on the weekends that go from 8am games until 9:00pm games. Which makes for a ridiculous long day, especially for someone that likes to sleep as much as I do! After the games I don't have much time for training and so that makes the day even worse. On top of no time, I have had a few days that included no time for food because I am rushing from one game to another. So, think of me, a tired, hungry and lack of training person and imagine me.

Those are the weekends right now and the last two weeks haven't been much better. The first Monday after the long weekend I was sick to my stomach. I couldn't eat much, I was dizzy and just didn't feel good. I started to feel a bit better and wanted to get my long run in...well that was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. The first six miles went pretty well. Then I met up with another runner for run club and decided to run another 8 miles or so. After about two miles I realized I was not feeling great. My energy was low (hmm I wonder why, since I had only eaten one small meal and it was 6pm) and I wasn't sure I could keep running. I tried to keep moving but when we hit the corner (about .5miles to my house) I was done. It was the longest nearly, 13 miles of my life. I had to walk from the corner to my house, which I have never done. Then of course, it started to rain as soon as I started walking. I tried to jog but I thought I might be sick. I finally arrived home and I was cold and wet from the rain and exhausted. I sat in the shower until all the hot water was gone. Of course it was a day that Pedro worked and so I had to try and summon some strength to make food. I thought maybe a smoothie. After I put all the ingredients into the blender I had to go and sit down because I thought I might be sick. I wanted some food, but didn't want to make it.

The next few days were better but the weather wasn't great and then another tournament. I then started having IT band problems. Only when I run. So, this week I have only gotten in one real run and my long run consisted of 30min on tred, 30min on elliptical until I had reached 2hrs. My long bike was done outside in the 55 degree weather and I was so cold after I was done that I lost my mind. I had to go to the gym to do run club (the one run I did this week) and I turned on the heat in my car because I was so cold and I got to the gym and realized I had been driving the whole way with my window down! On top of that, on Monday I had another stomachache. This one was apparently from the food that we had from the night before because a few players and parents also had stomachaches. UGH. This week I have gotten in my long ride, long swim (indoors, since it is rainy and tornadoes) and a "pseudo" long run. Mixed in with two other indoor rides and one other swim.

I leave for Wichita tomorrow for another long weekend of tournaments. I have four teams in the tournament so I imagine it will be a ridiculously long weekend.

On a separate note, Pedro has bought a bike to start riding with me. He is currently capable of riding about 15 miles on his bike. I love when he rides with me and I can draft off of him, it's nice not to ride through the wind since he is blocking it all!


We need to get him a bike jersey!

So, right now I am doing very little running with hopes my IT band gets better, since my main focus is for my full ironman in November.

No comments: