Monday, April 23, 2012

Zuri's first flight!

Zurianna took her first plane flight this weekend to California, for a tournament. Not only was it her first flight, but it was my first flight with a baby ALONE! The hardest part of the whole trip was going through security. On the way through Denver the security person was very friendly and helpful. I had to take apart my stroller with the carseat, I had to take the car seat base off of the stroller (had to bring that part for the car), hold Zuri, take off my shoes, put my bag on the scanner. I definitely needed about 12 hands. Once I got through the screening, nobody helped me get everything back together, so it was a fun balancing act. Zuri behaved pretty well through all of this. After I arrived at the gate, I had grabbed some food and ate. Zuri was also well behaved at this time too. Then I had to start the process of breaking down everything again because for boarding I had to leave the stroller and carseat for a gate check. When I got to board, a few people helped me get my stroller folded up, while I was holding Zuri. Once on the plane I was wondering where I should sit, when some lady said that I could sit with her. I asked if she was sure! I sat at the window and she had the aisle. Her hope was that nobody would sit in the middle, and luckily they didn't. Zuri was fine and was asleep before take off. The trip out to Cali was all pretty good. After she woke up from her short 20 minute nap, she sat on my lap and was entertaining herself. She seemed a little confused when a voice would come over the speaker, she would stop doing whatever she was doing and look around!
When we arrived Zuri was all tuckered out! I even wondered if I should claim her!
Then I got to the hotel and got her dressed for our first game, in her Jordan gear.
We had a late night game and Zuri was pretty good until the last two minutes which led to a scream fest. The night was ok, had some usual wakeups and then a nap the next morning before our game. But apparently it wasn't enough as here she was after our game!
Then we went to the airport. She decided that screaming through the whole first part of the airport was her job. I had multiple people tell me that if your child is screaming like that, then she needs something. Like I was depriving my child. I told them she is tired and wants to be in the bjorn. But they looked at me like I was crazy. She screamed through the whole security process, kind of embarrassing! But then as soon as we were through I put her in the bjorn and voila, she was fine! Here she is waiting for our flight, I had to change her shirt to a long sleeve for the flight.
Then she decided as we were about to board the plane, that she felt like screaming again. So, she did. It was pretty funny (not so much) to try to go to find a seat with a WAILING baby. I ended up sitting in the first row by the window. I'm sure the guy was thrilled to have me sitting there. Then she fell asleep...
Then a bigger guy that smelled of alcohol sat in the middle seat, he kept bumping her legs. She didn't wake, but it was quite obnoxious. After her brief 20 minute nap again, which included sleeping through take off, she woke up and was happy to be sitting with me...
Then with about 20 minutes left in our flight, she started screaming again. Maybe it was her ears? I don't know. She wouldn't take the pacifier and she wouldn't eat, so she just screamed. Then finally I got her to stop with about 5 minutes left. We were good and arrived at the gate, only to find that a plane was still at our gate. Which meant that we could't get to the gate. They announced it would be at least 15 minutes before we would get to the gate. And with that, she started screaming again! When we got to the gate, they wanted passengers that were getting on other flights to get off first, but we got off right away. And of course as soon as we were out and she was in the bjorn, she stopped screaming. She was fine the whole way through the airport and then fell asleep in the car on the way home. All in all, it wasn't too bad of a trip, for my first trip alone with Zuri. Her first new state! Although she didn't see the ocean, since that would have been too much for her to be out, instead of napping on Saturday. We have quite a few trips that we need to go on soon for basketball. I am hoping that they are all as good as this one!

No comments: