Sunday, May 13, 2012

Zuri's First 5k!

Yesterday was Zurianna's first 5k.  Pedro had decided he wanted to do a 5k for the Police Memorial.  So, we headed out on a cold morning (thankfully not raining), and went for a run.  She enjoyed the festivities to start and didn't want to stay in her car seat.  So, I carried her around so she could see everyone and everything.

Then the race was about to start so I put her in her stroller, where she began to scream!  I knew that would be short lived as she does that sometimes when we go for our run.  We started in the back because we had a stroller and most people (only about 80 runners) looked like they would be running and not walking.  That was my biggest mistake.  We should have started near the front, although I am sure most runners wouldn't want a stroller up there.  But we had to work our way through all of the runners on a small path. That seemed to take forever!  I even accidentally bumped a runner with the stroller.  Luckily, Zuri was still screaming so I said that I was trying to get moving so she would be happy.  Which of course, after I got moving she was.

Pedro and I ran together through the crowd and then up this ginormous hill!  Pedro, in his usual method of racing, started out super fast.  He took the stroller and was actually just a bit ahead of me going up part of the hill.  I then passed him and took this picture!



He told me to go ahead and go, as he was out of breath!  I told him I could take the stroller, but he decided that he would.  So, I ran ahead.

It was the HILLIEST 5k I have EVER run.  I swear it was nearly ALL uphill!  And I would also swear that it was longer than a 5k.  Other runners were saying the same thing.  I had forgotten my watch for the race because, when traveling with a child, her needs superseded mine so I forgot it.  Which I would have really liked to have had it to know how far we were at points in the race, as nothing was marked.






Our times were not stellar.  However, the sad fact was that I was still the 2nd female (I think top 5 overall) in the race, I had lost by 20 seconds and my time was not good.  Pedro was the 23rd male.


Anyway, she napped her way through the run and enjoyed it!  After the race we waited for a raffle.  We won 2 free appetizers to PF Changs and a Free Dinner for two and appetizer at LoneStar, all in all not a bad day.





1 comment:

Evelyn Ramos said...

I love to see her , she is getting so big so fast. I'm looking forward to see her next month.