Sunday, August 17, 2008

Rattlesnake Report

Today was a pretty good day for racing. Not too hot, maybe a little too cold, since my feet were numb most of the race. But all in all a good temperature.

The swim was only 500 meters. I did this race two years ago and I swam this in 14 min. That was embarassing. Anyway, this time I swam it in 7:04..however the time says 8min but this included my wetsuit strippers and my run up the hill to transition. Anyway, it was a time trial start and I apparently decided to jump on the girl that started ahead of me. I am not use to being "faster" than some swimmers. I am usually working just to keep up. Anyway, the swim was cold. Then my ear plug started to come out, so I fixed that. I kept sighting the bouys very well. I then fixed my goggles, always some issue. Then finished the swim a little dizzy, not sure why...but it was my fastest swim ever!

I left for the bike and it was cold. You had to go slow around the turns because the road was wet and rocky. It was a very hilly course. Again it is hard to know if you are doing well when you are passing a lot of people. Was I moving fast?? Well, not as fast as I could have I guess...but fast enough. I was passed by one guy on the bike near the end of the bike and so I was trying to keep up with him to transition.

I got in and changed to my running shoes, still unable to feel my feet. It is a weird sensation running on numb feet! I was trying to remain at a good pace. Faster than what I did at my last sprint, since I had lost by 20sec I wasn't going to let that happen again. I was at about mile one when I saw the first runner coming back. I thought this is good, since there were 309 people, at least, that started before me. I didn't stop for any water, my stomach wasn't happy. I had changed up my race morning meal..to a shake and coffee...probably too much of both. Anyway, I was passed by another male racer on the run. We got to the turnaround which consisted of flamingos and a sign, no timing mat, no cone, just turning around on the sidewalk. I'm glad we are honest??? Anyway, while I was on my way out running I kept looking at the runners coming back to make sure none were in my age. I didn't see any. I finished and took first in my age and 5th female overall and 43rd I think overall.

I was happy with my swim, ok with my bike...and I ran a faster run. The weather probably contributed to all of it. I wouldn't say that it was unexpected that I win a sprint race. All in all I should win, with all the training I do, compared to what most people probably do. I was happy to have my first win though and I beat the next person in my age group by 3 minutes.

No comments: