Monday, December 5, 2011

A day in the life of my children...


I am pretty sure that their lives will change just about as much as mine when the baby arrives. So, I figured I should give them a post, so we can all remember their controlling schedule!

Stella and Polar are very needy babies, who love to sleep, when they are not being needy. I assume our baby will be even more needy, but hopefully just as sleepy!

Our day begins with Stella in the bed, with her legs on top of me, snoring away. Yes, she is snoring, because just like me, she has put on some sympathy pregnancy weight. I get up and tell her to wake up. She looks at me, then quickly goes back to sleep. I uncover her, so that she knows that I am serious, we are getting up. Then I go and wake Polar up. Polar sleeps on the sofa in another room. He is baby gated in his room, because unlike Stella and I, he is an early riser and he will come and wake us up! He gets up from the sofa, super excited and wants to run and jump. Meanwhile, Stella is slowly staggering out of bed, because she knows if she isn't out of bed before Polar makes his way to the room, he will jump on her. Stella definitely takes after me. Stella stretches and I hear her jump out of bed and Polar RUNS to go and get her. She gives him a little growl, but he doesn't care and keeps jumping and playing.

At this time I am brushing my teeth and after both dogs RUN downstairs and outside, then RUN back upstairs, Stella goes back and lays on Polar's sofa to lay in the sun and Polar comes and sits in the bathroom with me. He needs morning love. After this I check my emails and they both lay on the sofa, or if it is the summer, they may go downstairs and lay outside in the sun. After I finish emails I ask if they would like breakfast. If my emails take me awhile, Stella will start barking at me and running around, which means, HURRY UP! They both get up and go downstairs with me. Now that Stella is a little chunky I have to feed them separately and not leave the bowl full of food. I feed Stella first, while Polar walks around the table by the bowl, going in circles, like a shark. Stella eats and then I put food in the bowl for Polar. While Polar eats I baby gate Stella in the kitchen with me so that he can eat all of his own food. Stella just stares at him.

While I eat breakfast both dogs usually lay on the sofa while I eat. If it is really cold downstairs, Polar will go to his room and lay in the sun, while Stella stays with me. If it is hot out, this is when they usually lay outside. After this, it usually depends on what we do for the day. If we don't have a lot to do, the dogs will sleep and lay around. If I am going somewhere and I put on sneakers or something, the dogs will start running around the house full speed. They know the signs of leaving the house and are ready to go.

When we go someplace, depending on the time I will be gone, I have to get their leashes, water and make sure their blankets are laying in the back of the car. The dogs go out to the car with the garage closed and Stella will jump into the car on her "side." Polar has recently decided he is too scared to jump in with the tight fit of the trunk and the garage door. So he will sit with me by the passenger door of the car while I open the garage. He waits and then once I see there is nobody outside he will go with me and jump in his "side" of the car. Both dogs go with me most places, unless it is REALLY cold or hot.

In the evening, we follow a similar dinner routine except this time Stella will nudge the food container until I allow her to eat. It is non-stop nudging and crying until I feed her. Polar will just stand by the bowl with his ears down and stare at me. Apparently, if I am in the kitchen making my own food, it means that it is their time to eat, so this routine happens if I am making lunch too. Then we separate and eat again. When we watch tv downstairs, Stella likes to lay between my legs and Polar likes to lay ON me, whether that be on my legs, stomach (even while pregnant), or any other part of me that he can lay on. They frequently try to trick each other by getting up and chasing the cat, then they will run back and try to get the spot they really want to lay. At about 10:30pm, Stella decides that it is time for their "fun". She will cry, run around or sit on the stairs and stare at me. This means that she knows it is time for us to go upstairs and the dogs each get their own bone. I baby gate Polar in his room and Stella goes to our room. They get their bones while I shower. After I am done showering I take their bones and they get a drink then go to the place where the other one had their bone, where they check for anything left on the floor, which frequently means they lick the floor for about 15 minutes. Then I hear Polar RUN down the stairs and outside to go to the bathroom. Stella waits upstairs. If I am still in the bathroom, they will lay outside the door, waiting for the next great part of their day. They get a treat when they go to bed. Polar runs to his room and Stella sits right outside his door. I do a few tricks with Stella while Polar waits patiently. I give them each a treat and then make Polar's "cove". I take the blankets and make a cove for him to sleep, since it is pretty cold in our house (if you see in the picture above he has kicked the blankets onto the floor). He jumps up in the cove and lays down, I cover him up and tell him goodnight and then baby gate him in the room. Stella has gone downstairs at this point, to make sure there is no food crumbs left and to go outside. I get into bed and then I will hear Stella SPRINTING through the doggy door and up the stairs to bed. She usually jumps on the bed, checks that I am there, then jumps off and gets a drink then returns and gets back under my blankets with me and snuggles up. If Pedro is working she gets his WHOLE side of the bed, which is great for both of us, she loves to have her own pillow and stretch out room and still be covered up.

The next morning the routine starts again....

Here is another picture for you:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great photo of you and Pedro! Cannot believe it - Keirsten pregnant!a and what a program you have with your children during the day!
Looking forward as I am sure you both are to seeing pictures of that sweet baby!
Have fun, good luck with the delivery and congratulations to both of you!
Leanne