Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy Day 5-10

I was really worried for days 5-10 with Zuri.  The doctor, nurse, internet, paper the hospital gave me, pretty much everything has said that during these days the "scabs" start coming off and it can be worse than immediately after surgery.  What could that mean? Since Zuri was eating cheetos right after surgery, I was really worried that we would make a huge turn for the worse.  We are not on day 14 yet, of what is to be a full 2 week recovery, but she has been awesome!

Zuri hasn't had any prescription medicine and has just had some tylenol and advil during these days.  She has even had mostly a half a dose.  On day 8, she woke in a great mood and so I opted to not give her anything in the morning.  Then she was eating a breakfast sandwich and the first bite she started crying.  I'm assuming it was her tonsils so I gave her some advil and she seemed to be fine.  We have been a little bit weepy sometimes after naps, but that is to be expected.

 Today (day 10) she hasn't had any medicine at all.  She woke well, played at the gym, ate well and had a good day.  Except she was on a nap strike again from 1:30-4:00pm where she played in her room the entire nap time.

I have noticed a huge difference, even from the first day.  Her breathing is no longer labored, or sounding like she is running.  When I go check on her at night I can't hear her breathing or snoring.  It has made what appears to be a huge difference.  I don't know how she feels because she can't tell me, but I think it has been just a huge improvement.

We aren't at the full two weeks yet, but at this point no matter how she acts she has been really amazing!

No comments: