Thursday, July 10, 2008

Riding in HELL!

Today I got up at 645...yes if you are reading this and think that I must be referring to waking up at 645PM..you are wrong. I got up early so I could have breakfast and go for my long bike ride. I wanted to get in some good miles before I could feel the devils breath. I started riding at 745..again AM not PM. It started off good, about 70 some degrees and a light wind. The only downside to rides at this time of the day is TRAFFIC. Much more traffic with people going to work and I was very aware since people are probably half asleep while driving to work. Anyway, I rode out to the Foothills Hwy today. However, when I arrived there (after multiple detours and stop lights) I had ridden for about 2hours and 40 minutes. So, I decided turning around on a highway would be difficult. Instead I went back and took another rode as far north as it would go and came back. At this point, I felt as though I had made it into hell.

Hell isn't so horrible. Except that everything I am drinking becomes hot, which is kind of gross. Then I know I am sweating but there isn't any sweat so I am not really aware of the amount of fluid loss. Then at about the 3.5 hour mark I start getting my "heat rash" on my quads. I see it beggining and I think, man I have a lot more time out here this could be bad.

Then the devils breath begins. I can feel him breathing down my back..he blows in my face and it is nothing but HOT HOT air. I guess when you are riding in Hell and trying to get back before the Devil catches you..you need to start earlier. He followed me for about 2.5 hours and then of course I look down and realize I have to ride Riverdale another time because I am short about 20 minutes of a 6 hour ride. I seem to ride faster home....probably because I know the devil is chasing me! So I have to ride back and forth on Riverdale..and at this point I have drank about 2.5 liters of water (still not enough) a bottle of Gatorade and I have just a sip left of my (now near boiling) limeade. I was soo thirsty but I couldn't wimp out and go less than 100 miles. So, I sucked it up and ended up with a ride just shy of 6 hours and 104 miles.

I got home had a shake and a little food and headed out to the gym where I went and lifted. I wasn't all that tired, I must be getting use to the long rides..before I would need a nap after such a long ride. But of course I did nap this evening after eating.

No comments: