Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sleeping...

We all know how much I like to sleep. I would say that I am quite possibly one of the best sleepers. However, the sun has been interupting my sleep, in quite a few ways. First of all, the sun arrives BRIGHT and early now. Not beneficial to me, because even though I have "black out" curtains, they do anything but completely BLACK out my room. So, I have been waking up earlier. I know some of you (kory probably) is saying, you are waking up so you must be done sleeping..or maybe you are saying "you sleep too much". However, I have not found this to be the truth. The other problem with the sun, is that if I have a long workout I have to start early in the morning to accomplish it...needless to say this week I have yet to get in my long bike ride. Tired. Yes, I am tired. Maybe it is from the travel, maybe it is the bright sun waking me up, maybe I am not getting the right foods, or maybe the addition of speed work and my longest bike and runs are all catching up to me.

Then today I was put in an especially bad mood when I was woken up at 845, by P, to go to the gym. We were going to go at 1015 so I had time to swim, shower and then get to practice. However, he thought I needed to get up at 845 to be ready by 1015?? Then for about every 10min after he woke me up, he kept asking "why are you not up yet??". WHY YOU ASK? Because it is 845, because I am tired, because I finished a 17mile run at 945pm. So, needless to say, today was not a good day.

Last night I ran and discovered that when there is no sun, but still heat, I lose about 0.5oz of sweat per min...yes per minute. That means in order to replinish all that I have lost I would have to drink 30oz of water an hour. On the bike this is possible. However, while running, it is not even remotely possible.

Anyway, I am tired...and it is 11pm and I am ready to go to bed, with hopes to wake up to a cloudy, sunless day tomorrow. I know during the winter when I complain that it is dark and cold, I can look back and read this, I will laugh..but the heat and the sun are annoying me right now.

I guess my quote for the day would be something like: "Everyone performs well when the conditions are perfect, but a true test is how well you perform when the conditions are not perfect".

No comments: